It has been a good week or so on the Sindur front. Firstly, I was contacted, via this blog, by one of Sindur’s previous owners. He has kindly given me some useful information about works carried out to Sindur during his ownership. He also kindly forwarded some photos of Sindur. His advice so far has been useful and very welcome.
Secondly, having spent the last couple of weekends clearing the family boat Kyra, our Trader 575, Sindur had little work carried out. However, Pop came to help, which enabled me to get Sindur’s cabin doors refitted. A small job, but one that needed two pairs of hands, so his assistance was very welcome.
This weekend, being a Bank Holiday, good progress was made. I went down with a list of jobs, on Sunday morning, with my trusty sidekick, Diesel the dog. He is good company but not much help. He is also not great at ladders, so going up and down to Sindur’s deck (she’s out of the water), was a slight challenge.
The aim for Sunday was to epoxy the wheel house roof from the inside, rebonding the fibreglass to the ply core. This would then enable me to replace the roof headlinings and refix the interior lighting. The epoxy work went well. However, when offering up the headlining panel, I noticed there was a damp patch on one of the fixing points. Investigation showed that water was leaking in through the stern navigation light, on the wheelhouse roof. Putting the headlining back was not an option until the leak is fixed.
So the next job was to strip the nav light mounting off the roof clean everything up, apply Sikaflex sealant, and reassemble the fitting. All this takes time. However, it was a worthwhile job and all seems sorted now.
We had lunch at Fox’s marina restaurant. Nice fish – diabolical chips. Even Diesel agreed, having a sniff of the one offered, and then turning up his shiny black nose, at the prospect.
Whilst in Fox’s, I noticed Havengore, afloat by the fuel dock. Havengore is a handsome craft, built of English oak, in the 1950’s. She was used to carry the coffin of Winston Churchill, up the Thames on the day of his burial. She also carried some of the Royal family in the procession for the Queen’s diamond jubilee.
I have been musing over Sindur’s mast which supports some nav lights, the radar scanner, a TV aerial, a SeaMe active echo enhancer, and Echomax passive echo enhancer, a flood light and the anemometer (wind speed gauge). The mast has 6 guide wires holding it in place. These were stretched and saggy, which added to the cluttered and shabby look. I had been considering doing away with the lot and having a custom made, sleaker and shorter mast installed, that would still hold the essential gear. This would be an expensive option, so I decided to try to rationalise the current mast. I tightened the guide wires, removed the rear boom, and also took off the Echomax cylinder and the TV aerial. Both were redundant. The result is that the mast looks far better and less complicated. I have decided to run Sindur like this and review the situation in a few months.
Sunday night was cold. Sindur’s heating was not yet working and I had one skinny sleeping bag. Diesel was cold too. Kyra, 50 yards away was looking inviting, knowing that she had a good heating system, a double bed and duvets. However, it was nearly midnight and I thought the port security might have a few questions if a shabby individual was seen climbing aboard a boat that was for sale, outside the broker’s office. Also, Jon & Sue Humby of Estuary Vessel Management have just completed a thorough clean through, ready for buyers to view her. They have done a great job. She now looks superb after 6 months of neglect and a 400 mile passage.
We got through the night aboard Sindur and woke to a sunny morning. We went for a walk at Pin Mill, along past the old gnarly oaks that line the winding footpath towards Woolverstone. Diesel loves this wooded way, and is free to run off the lead. I love it too, with views through the trees, across the Orwell, with moored boats straining at their tethers, keen to ride the incoming tide up to Ipswich. Breakfast was taken at The Butt & Oyster, who serve good traditional fayre. However, the Covid situation means they have to serve the food in a cardboard box, with plastic cutlery and plastic pots for butter and the baked beans. The whole lot then goes in the general bin! The landfill being generated by the way the Covid situation is being handled around the world, is going to be a disastrous.
Several weeks ago I removed the varnished teak capping of the guard rail that runs around the stern. The varnish was weathered and badly deteriorated. I spent several hours stripping this with a scraper, back to bare wood. I then sanded it ready for revarnishing. I debated for along time whether to revarnish the rail, or perhaps to oil it. Varnish looks great when in good condition….but it’s a bugger to look after. So after canvassing opinion from Diesel, I decided to Danish oil it. It looks great and is now fitted back on board. I think it will look superb once the deck and bulwark is cleaned and oiled too.
The final job of the weekend was to clean the teak mounts for the other nav lights and vhf aerials. Whilst doing this, I uncovered the roof mounted search light, that the previous owner said was military grade. He is not wrong. This is a robust bit of kit that looks like it could illuminate a gnat a mile away. I’m looking forward to testing it on a dark night.